You don’t have to fly to some exotic location to have a great summer vacation. North Carolina has plenty of exciting places to explore this summer only a few hours from your new home in Wake Forest. The phone app Gas Buddy can help you find the best gas prices near you while you are driving to your favorite weekend retreat. Here are a few suggestions from Heritage Wake Forest. Share your favorite local getaways with us on Facebook!
1. Search for buried treasure and adventure on the high seas at Beaufort, NC for this year’s beach vacation. On August 12 and 13, the coastal town of Beaufort is invaded by pirates for a weekend of swashbuckling, sailing, treasure looting and shenanigans. Bring your tiny stowaways and swarthy sailors for a fun filled family weekend pirate style! A quick 3 hour drive down to the Carolina coast and you can be a part of the Pirate Invasion 2010.
2. North Carolina is home to many fine local wineries. Treat yourself to an all-inclusive Yadkin Valley Wine Tour this summer. The Yadkin Valley is home to more than 30 local North Carolina wineries and the guided tour will take you to several of those for a taste of local flavor. The tour includes transportation, lunch and a wine guide for the day. Only two hours from your new home in Wake Forest are some of the best wines in the state. Make your summer vacation a romantic one with wine tastings and fun local music.
3. Take a trip down memory lane at Mayberry in Mount Airy, NC. Come see the town that inspired the popular Andy Griffith TV series. Mount Airy also has more than the largest show memorabilia and squad car tours, you can also visit the local winery, hike Pilot Mountain or take a zipline tour. Only 2.5 hours from Wake Forest, Mayberry is a great place to cool off and relax in North Carolina’s majestic mountains.
4. If you enjoy golf at Heritage Wake Forest, then you will love a golfing getaway at Pinehurst, NC. Play the same greens that the legends played and challenge yourself with courses designed by Donald Ross. Stay at the gorgeous Pinehurst Resort and treat yourself to a spa day after a long day on the historic greens. Walk downtown Southern Pines, located on the other side of the train tracks from Pinehurst, and enjoy the lovely Southern charm of the sister city. A little more than an hour and a half’s drive from your new home in Wake Forest, Pinehurst and Southern Pines are a golfer’s paradise.
5. Cool off this summer at Great Wolf Lodge in Charlotte, NC. Your kids will love this lodge and indoor water park! Eat, play, shop and treat yourself to a spa date at the lodge too! Don’t miss out on this great family vacation, only three hours from your new home in Wake Forest, NC.